UK Software Chart: Watch Dogs smashes a sales record during the week of May 31stWritten by: / / 5 Comments
In its first week on sale, Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs has managed to appear at the very top of Chart Track’s UK Software Sales listing, setting a new sales record for the release of a new intellectual property in the process, apparently ‘smashing’ the previous record set by LA Noire in 2011.
Chart Track writes that Watch Dogs was able to improve on LA Noire’s record by a mighty impressive 58%, and becomes the 17th best selling game in the UK on launch week. In addition, Watch Dogs beats Assassin’s Creed III’s launch week sales in the UK by 17% – Ubisoft’s previous best effort in the region.
According to Chart Track, sales of Watch Dogs were primarily on PlayStation 4 accounting for an amazing 53%, thanks to a hardware bundle and exclusive content.
The other big release last week, Mario Kart 8, ably slips into No. 2 during its first week on sale becoming the best-selling debut release on Wii U, and the second best-selling Mario Kart game on launch week. Mario Kart 8 was also available in a Wii U hardware bundle, which Chart Track says boosted sales of the console by… 666%! 82% of these hardware sales were the Mario Kart 8 bundle, which means that many more players are looking forward to getting the game, too.
Wolfenstein: The New Order (sales down 65%) slides two places to No. 3 this week, FIFA 14 (sales up 46%) steps down a single spot to No. 4, Minecraft: PS3 Edition (sales up 20%) is down to No. 5 from No. 2 last week, and 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is down to No. 6 from No. 5.
Elsewhere on the chart, Titanfall slips to No. 7 from No. 4, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition is down from No. 7 to No. 8, Call of Duty: Ghosts drops three places to No. 9, and The LEGO Movie Videogame rounds out the Top Ten as a non-mover in this position.
The Top Twenty All Format UK Software Sales Chart follows below:
- 1.) Watch Dogs (Ubisoft) [New]
- 2.) Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [New]
- 3.) Wolfenstein: The New Order
- 4.) FIFA 14 (EA)
- 5.) Minecraft: PS3 Edition (Sony Computer Entertainment)
- 6.) 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil (EA)
- 7.) Titanfall (EA)
- 8.) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Studios)
- 9.) Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
- 10.) The LEGO Movie Videogame (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 11.) LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 12.) LEGO: The Hobbit (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 13.) Battlefield 4 (EA)
- 14.) Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare (EA)
- 15.) Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
- 16.) Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
- 17.) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
- 18.) Borderlands 2 (2K Games)
- 19.) South Park: The Stick of Truth (Ubisoft)
- 20.) Skate 3 (EA)
You can read last week’s UK Software Chart over here.
Source: Chart Track