April 2014 NPD: PS4 continues dominance over Xbox One as Titanfall scoops No. 1Written by: / / 2 Comments
Sales tracking firm The NPD Group has released its latest sales report for the US videogame industry, this time for April 2014 with news that overall revenue generated during the month reached $580.3 million, a 17% improvement compared to April 2013, across hardware, software and accessories categories, as the PlayStation 4 continued its dominance over Xbox One with both consoles helping to spike sales.
April 2014 Software Sales
During the month of April 2014 in the US, videogame software revenue declined by 10% compared to the year previous, down to $227.9 million, as Titanfall scooped the No. 1 placing in the top ten list of best-sellers. Call of Duty: Ghosts fought valiantly for No. 2 ahead of NBA 2K14, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition and new release, LEGO The Hobbit at No. 5.
April 2014 Software Sales Chart
- 1.) Titanfall (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC) – EA
- 2.) Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Activision
- 3.) NBA 2K14 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Take 2
- 4.) Minecraft (Xbox 360) – Microsoft Studios
- 5.) LEGO The Hobbit (PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita) – Warner Bros. Interactive [NEW]
- 6.) The LEGO Movie Videogame (PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita) – Warner Bros. Interactive
- 7.) LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita, PC) – Warner Bros. Interactive
- 8.) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 3DS) – Activision [NEW]
- 9.) Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3, Xbox 360) – Take 2
- 10.) Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Ubisoft
April 2014 Hardware Sales
Videogame hardware sales were up an impressive 76% in April 2014, climbing to revenue of $192.8 million thanks to the continued success of PlayStation 4, and to a lesser extent, the Xbox One. Hardware sales are looking very good from a historical point of view, too, as NPD analyst Liam Callahan wrote:
“Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales.
“PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months. Wii U software sales were up over last year by over 80 percent.”
April 2014 Hardware Sales Chart
- PlayStation 4: Best selling hardware
- Xbox One: 115 000 units
- Xbox 360: 71 000 units
April 2014 Videogame Industry Sales Totals
- April 2014 Videogame Sales – $580.3 million (+17%)
- April 2014 Videogame Hardware Sales – $192.8 million (+76%)
- April 2014 Videogame Software Sales – $227.9 million (-10%)
- April 2014 Videogame Accessories Sales – $159.7 million (+21%)
What do you make of the latest sales results in the US?