US Sales Totals for 2013: 3DS becomes best-selling console, GTA V is the highest selling gameWritten by: / / No Comments
According to sales tracking firm The NPD Group, and following the company’s December 2013 sales report for the US videogame industry, it’s been revealed that the Nintendo 3DS managed to become the best-selling console in the region in 2013, while Grand Theft Auto V was the year’s best-selling game.
NPD Group’s Liam Callahan noted that this is the first time in four years that the crown for best-selling game of the year has been taken away from the Call of Duty series, but Activision’s 2013 entry to the franchise wasn’t far behind on the sales listing slotting into second ahead of Madden NFL 25 in third.
NPD reports that US videogame revenue in 2013 was down 2% compared to 2012, to $12.97 billion, with hardware up 5% accounting for $4.26 billion of the total, software down 9% making up $6.12 billion of the share, and accessories up 3% with $2.6 billion in 2013 overall.
Top Selling Games in the US in 2013
- 1.) Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3, Xbox 360) – Take 2
- 2.) Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Activision
- 3.) Madden NFL 25 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – EA
- 4.) Battlefield 4 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – EA
- 5.) Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Ubisoft
- 6.) NBA 2K14 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One) – Take 2
- 7.) Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (PC, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360) – Activision
- 8.) Just Dance 2014 (PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox One) – Ubisoft
- 9.) Minecraft (Xbox 360) – Microsoft Studios
- 10.) Disney Infinity (3DS, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360) – Disney Interactive
Are there any surprises in the list of top selling games in the US during 2013?
It’s interesting to see the retail version of Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition in the mix, with Disney Infinity appearing ahead of Skylanders: Swap Force.