November 2013 NPD: Xbox One is the fastest seller, PS4 sells the most, but software declines overallWritten by: / / No Comments
US sales tracking firm The NPD Group has released its latest revenue report for the videogame industry, this time for the month of November 2013, which not only saw the launch of two brand new consoles but the release of a collection of blockbuster games, too.
The US videogame industry is up seven percent overall year-over-year compared to November 2012, generating revenue of $2.74 billion during November 2013 across hardware, software and accessories categories.
November 2013 Software Sales
Despite the release of games like Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, software sales in the US dropped by 24 percent in November 2013 compared to the same period last year, with revenue coming in at $1.1 billion – here’s the full top ten sales chart for the month.
November 2013 Software Sales Chart
- 1.) Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Wii U) – Activision
- 2.) Battlefield 4 (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC) – EA
- 3.) Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Wii U) – Ubisoft
- 4.) Madden NFL 25 (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One) – EA
- 5.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS3, Xbox 360) – Take 2 Interactive
- 6.) NBA 2K14 (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Take 2 Interactive
- 7.) Skylanders: Swap Force (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii, Wii U) – Activision
- 8.) Just Dance 2014 (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U) – Ubisoft
- 9.) Disney Infinity (PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, Wii, Wii U) – Disney Interactive
- 10.) FIFA 14 (PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita) – EA
November 2013 Hardware Sales
In the face of the software sales declines, revenue generated on sales of new and current console hardware in the US during November 2013 jumped by 58 percent, up to $1.327 billion for the month. NPD analyst Liam Callahan said that this month was the best November ever for hardware sales in the US, writing:
“With the introduction of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, coupled with positive sales for the Nintendo 3DS, sales in November 2013 marked the best November for hardware sales on record,” going on to mention that “Nintendo 3DS hardware unit sales have increased by 15 percent year-to-date through November” on the back of strong software, including The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
November 2013 Hardware Sales Chart
- PlayStation 4: “top selling next-gen platform” – Geoff Keighley
- Xbox One: 909 132 Units Fastest selling: 101 000 units per day – Microsoft
- 3DS: 770 000 Units
- Xbox 360: 647 000 Units – Major Nelson
- Wii U: 220 000 Units
November2013 Videogame Industry Sales Totals
November 3rd 2013 through November 30th 2013:
- November 2013 Videogame Sales – $2.74 billion (+7%)
- November 2013 Videogame Hardware Sales – $1.327 billion (+58%)
- November 2013 Videogame Software Sales – $1.1 billion (-24%)
- November 2013 Videogame Accessories Sales – $327.4 million (+17%)
What do you make of the latest sales results in the US? Here’s what the platform holders have to say: