Ahead of the game’s launch around the world next week (November 5th if you really needed to know), Infinity Ward has revealed that Call of Duty: Ghosts has a whopping 35 Perks which the team says will enable “an incredible level of customization” in multiplayer.
Similar to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Ghosts will use a points system to govern the use of your Perks. Each Perk will be assigned a value, one to five, and you’ll have up to eight points to spend on Perks. Depending on your load-out, however, you can bump the available pool of points up to twelve.
Infinity Ward says that a single Perk point will need to be spent on your primary weapon, secondary weapon, a lethal piece of equipment as well as a tactical option. If you choose to remove these weapons and options, however, that’s how you can get a total of twelve points to spend on Perks. Infinity Ward claims that it’s even possible to not use any weapons or equipment with only a knife available to make kills if necessary. “It’s your choice,” the team says.
Perk Unlock System
From here on in, we’ll rely on Infinity Wards’ explanations in case something is lost in translation:
“Perks are unlocked in one of two ways. Each Perk is marked with a level and a Squad Point cost. Once you reach the listed level, the Perk is automatically unlocked for use. If you’d rather unlock a Perk early, you can also choose to spend the listed amount of Squad Points for immediate access. Can’t wait to unlock Blast Shield for your Domination matches? Pay the listed Squad Points ahead of time and it’s yours to use.”
“Each Perk belongs to one of seven different Perk Categories. Mix and match as you see fit to create a near unlimited number of loadout combinations, from quick and stealthy to tough and armed to the teeth.”
Outrun and outmanoeuvre enemy players. Speed Perks are all about getting the lead and staying ahead. Examples include:
- Sleight of Hand: Faster reloading.
- Stalker: Move faster while aiming.
- Dexterity and control drives the Handling Perks, improving actions and accuracy. Examples include:
- On the Go: Reload while sprinting.
Steady Aim: Increased hip fire accuracy.
Stealth Perks aid you in staying out of sight, maintaining a low profile and engaging on your terms. Examples include:
- Takedown: Kill enemies without revealing their death locations.
- Incog: Resistant to targeting systems including: Recon, Thermal Scope, Tracker Sight and Motion Sensor. No name or red crosshairs when targeted.
Keep in tune with your surroundings. Awareness Perks help you survey the environment and detect enemy players. Examples include:
- SitRep: Detect enemy explosives and tactical equipment.
- Wiretap: Utilize all active enemy and friendly SAT COMs on the field.
A hardened endurance reduces the effects of fatigue. Resistance Perks keep you going through tough engagements. Examples include:
- Focus: Reduced weapon sway when aiming down sights and reduced flinch when hit.
- Blast Shield: Increased resistance to explosive damage.
Tacticians swear by their gear, and Equipment Perks ensure you have the best tools on hand. Examples include:
- Extra Tactical: Additional Tactical equipment.
- Extra Attachment: Extra attachment for your weapons.
Elite Perks offer special abilities that affect your loadouts in a variety of ways. Examples include:
- Gambler: Spawn with a random Perk.
- Ping: Activate a sonar ping upon killing an enemy, revealing nearby hostiles.
Will you be trying to go the full Perks route in Call of Duty: Ghosts? Sounds like an interesting challenge!
Call of Duty: Ghosts is out on November 5th across Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Wii U, and will be a Xbox One and PS4 launch title in both the US and Europe.
Follow El33tonline’s extensive previous coverage of the game for news on the collector’s edition, interviews, screenshots and videos, which include an in-depth interview with Raven Software creative director Eric Biessman for his take on the changes to Call of Duty multiplayer this year, as well as our impressions of a presentation by Tina Palacios.
If you’re still playing Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2, there’s an immense Double XP event on the go until the end of November 1st – take advantage now!