It may come as no surprise to Pokemon fans, but Nintendo has today revealed that the latest iteration of the series, Pokemon X and Y, has sold a combined total of four million units around the world, taking only two days to reach the stratospheric figure.
According to Nintendo’s internal sales figures, Pokemon X and Y managed to sell four million copies on a single platform (Nintendo 3DS) in Japan, Europe and the Americas after going on sale on October 12th. Nintendo has additionally claimed that Pokemon X and Y has become the fastest-selling 3DS game of all time, outselling Pokemon Black and White 2 by 70% during a similar timeframe.
To put this into perspective, Nintendo has released sales figures for previous Pokemon games, life-to-date, which have contributed to the over 245 million Pokemon titles sold worldwide:
- Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl – Nintendo DS -17.63 Million
- Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire – Game Boy Advance – 16.22 Million
- Pokémon Black and Pokémon White -Nintendo DS – 15.42 Million
- Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver – Nintendo DS -12.67 Million
- Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen – Game Boy Advance -12 Million
The launch of Pokemon X and Y puts the game(s) on track to reach similar heights within the year, especially with Thanksgiving (in the US) and the holidays looming around the corner.
Have you got yourself a copy of Pokemon X or Pokemon Y yet? What do you think so far?