There was never any doubt with regards to its sales prowess, but after Grand Theft Auto V launched in the UK on September 17th Chart Track says that it has gone on to break a number of records in the region, going on to become the fastest-selling game ever.
With five days of tracking data, GTA V became the 24th biggest selling game in the UK of all time, as well as the 11th biggest seller on Xbox 360 and 10th biggest on PlayStation 3 so far. In addition, GTA V has sold more during its first week on sale than the launch weeks of every previous Grand Theft Auto game combined, outpacing Grand Theft Auto IV by 2.4 times.
GTA V also outstripped the launch week sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops (the previous record holder) by nearly 500 000 units. If you’re interested in the console split, it turned out pretty even with Xbox 360 sales of GTA V seeing 57%, and PlayStation 3 the remaining 43%. Lastly on the GTA V front, the game managed to account for a massive 89% of this week’s videogame software sales in the UK.
What does the rest of the chart look like?
PES 2014 debuted at No. 2, while The Last of Us rocketed up from No. 27 to No. 3 with a 536% increase in sales thanks to a new hardware bundle. Saints Row IV (sales down 45%) finally drops from No. 1, stepping down to No. 4, while Aliens: Colonial Marines (sales up 913%) appears at No. 9 following retailer promotions. The other debut on the chart this week, Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning, shows up at No. 20.
The Top Twenty All Format UK Software Sales Chart follows below:
- 1.) Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games) [New]
- 2.) PES 2014 (Konami) [New]
- 3.) The Last of Us (SCE)
- 4.) Saints Row IV (Deep Silver)
- 5.) Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Ubisoft)
- 6.) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Studios)
- 7.) Diablo III (Blizzard Entertainment)
- 8.) Disney Infinity (Disney Interactive)
- 9.) Aliens: Colonial Marines (SEGA)
- 10.) Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Square Enix)
- 11.) LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 12.) Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
- 13.) Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar Games)
- 14.) LEGO Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 15.) Max Payne 3 (Rockstar Games)
- 16.) Rayman Legends (Ubisoft)
- 17.) Need For Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
- 18.) Farming Simulator 2013 (Koch Media)
- 19.) Payday 2 (505 Games)
- 20.) Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning (PQube) [New]
You can read last week’s UK Software Sales Chart over here.
Source: Chart Track