March NPD: US game industry revenue drops 10%, despite Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider’s chart-topping salesWritten by: / / No Comments
Despite a month filled with hugely anticipated games, sales tracking firm The NPD Group has revealed that revenue generated in the US videogame industry during March 2013 reached a total of $992.5 million, representing a ten percent drop compared to March 2012, primarily dragged down by less than stellar console sales.
March 2013 Software Sales
During the month of March 2013, videogame software sales in the US increased by two percent compared to the year previous, to $602.4 million. NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted that this is “the first month since November 2011 where retail spending on entertainment software experienced positive growth.”
“The performance of new launches was a major driver of the overall software growth for this month, with games launching in March 2013 selling over 40 percent more units than new launches in March 2012,” Liam Callahan continued. “There were positive trends for new launches that were seen across consoles, portables, and PC.
“There were actually fewer new launches – about 20 percent less new games – than last March, but March 2013 launches generated close to 70 percent more dollar sales per SKU than last year.”
Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Gears of War: Judgment, God of War: Ascension and Luigi’s Mansion 2: Dark Moon all launched in March making for an incredible slate of games, and they all found their way into the list of top ten best-selling titles:
March 2013 Software Sales Chart
- 1.) Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC) – Take 2 Interactive – 750 000+ units
- 2.) Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PS3) – Square Enix Inc
- 3.) Gears of War: Judgment (360) – Microsoft
- 4.) God of War: Ascension (PS3) – Sony
- 5.) Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, NWU) – Activision Blizzard
- 6.) Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) Nintendo – 365 000 units (415 000 with digital)
- 7.) MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV) – Sony
- 8.) NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC) – Take 2 Interactive
- 9.) The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, NWU) – Activision Blizzard
- 10.) Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3) – Namco Bandai Games
Outside of the Top Ten:
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity – 145 000 retail + digital
- Fire Emblem – 64 000 retail + digital
March 2013 Hardware Sales
Hardware sales during the month of March 2013 were exceedingly poor and dropped 32 percent compared to March last year, to $221.6 million. Xbox 360 was once again the best-selling console overall this month, making it the 27th consecutive month it has managed to claim the top spot.
March 2013 Hardware Sales Chart
Xbox 360: 261 000 (Down 29.6% year-over-year)
Nintendo 3DS: 245 000 (Up 9% year-over-year)
March 2013 Videogame Industry Sales Totals
March 2013 Videogame Sales – $992.5 million (- 10%)
March 2013 Videogame Hardware Sales – $221.6 million (- 32%)
March 2013 Videogame Software Sales – $602.4 million (+2%)
Will the launch of new consoles later this year help reverse the declining fortunes of the videogame industry?