During its debut week on sale, Tomb Raider from Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics has rocketed to the top of Chart Track’s UK Software Sales listing, becoming the biggest videogame launch in the UK in 2013 so far, defeating previous best performers to do so.
Releasing on March 5th across three platforms, Tomb Raider managed to outdo Aliens: Colonial Marines in terms of launch week sales, selling over double what SEGA’s game was able to do in its first week on sale (with the same amount of days to do it). The release of Tomb Raider in the UK last week has set a launch week sales record for the franchise, too, a record previously held by Tomb Raider: Legend in 2006 (which only managed half of Tomb Raider’s launch week sales).
Chart Track reminds us that this is the tenth Tomb Raider game, following on from the very original title back in 1996 on the SEGA Saturn and original PlayStation. This latest game, however, also set individual platform sales records for the franchise as both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of the game sold incredible well on, outperforming the PlayStation 2 sales of Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness to do so.
Another debut title out last week, SimCity, managed a No. 2 placement on Chart Track’s sales listing despite only being available on PC. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 appeared at No. 3 on debut, while yet another new title, The Sims 3: University Life, debuted at No. 4 (as an add-on to a PC-only game).
FIFA 13 (sales down 32%) shifts from No. 2 to No. 5 this week, Crysis 3 (sales down 55%) tumbles from No. 1 to No. 6, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is ousted from No. 4 to No. 7, Far Cry 3 steps down three places to No. 8, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is cut down to No. 9 from No. 3, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim rounds out the Top Ten, moving up from No. 11 to do so.
The Top Twenty All Format UK Software Sales Chart follows below:
- 1.) Tomb Raider (Square Enix) (New)
- 2.) SimCity (EA) (New)
- 3.) Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (Namco Bandai) (New)
- 4.) The Sims 3: University Life (EA) (New)
- 5.) FIFA 13 (EA)
- 6.) Crysis 3 (EA)
- 7.) Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
- 8.) Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
- 9.) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Konami)
- 10.) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
- 11.) Assassin’s Creed III (Ubisoft)
- 12.) Need For Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
- 13.) Skylanders Giants (Activision)
- 14.) Hitman Absolution (Square Enix)
- 15.) Aliens: Colonial Marines (SEGA)
- 16.) LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 17.) Halo 4 (Microsoft)
- 18.) GTA IV (Rockstar Games)
- 19.) Dead Space 3 (EA)
- 20.) Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
You can read over last week’s UK Software Sales listing here.
Source: Chart Track