Say what you will about the bugs and other issues players may have encountered in Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, but the enormous open-world action RPG was an epic achievement.
Not only was that open-world vast, but it was brought to life with a menagerie of creatures, stretching plains, towering mountain ranges, ancient ruins, living towns and villages and some of the best visuals yet. That’s not even mentioning everything running under the hood with the dynamic quest system, the way the world worked in spite of (and because of) your presence and many more big and small touches.
Now, Bethesda is ready to do it all over again and start work on new technology for “an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.”
According to a job listing, Bethesda Softworks is looking for a ‘Future Generation Console Programmer,’ which sounds like a nice nebulous title indeed. Here’s what they’re looking for:
“Bethesda Game Studios is looking for experienced programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.”
And here are the requirements:
- At least 5 years of game development experience with multiple titles shipped
- Extensive experience programming and optimizing for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- Experience with DirectX 11 a plus
- Passion for making GREAT games, and being part of a GREAT team
- Ability to contribute innovative ideas towards all aspects of game development
- Must create amazing things with minimal oversight
- Experience playing Bethesda Game Studios games a plus
Does this mean that Skyrim was Bethesda’s last game on the current generation of consoles? Will the team be moving on to the next generation now that Skyrim was so popular to get a lead on development and have a game ready by the time the next home machines are released?
Or do you think Bethesda can spin out a second team to work on a new current generation project, using the Skyrim engine, while another team works on a super secret next-generation title? Let us know what you think of these developments.
Source: Zenimax Jobs Listing