Sales tracking and research firm The NPD Group recently released its latest monthly report regarding the performance of the US videogame industry, this time for the month of September 2011. The report shows that sales across all segments of the market were down 6% compared to the 2010 results of September, with hardware, software and accessories racking up $1.16B in revenue.
Hardware sales fell 9% to $349 million. The Xbox 360 was the best-selling hardware for the month, selling 438 000 units and holding 42% share of the current-generation console market. The PS3 followed while the Nintendo 3DS sold 260 000 units to secure third place.
The Wii was next with 240 000 units and the Nintendo DS rounded off the chart with 145 000 units. Nintendo reported that the Nintendo DS has now sold over 50 million units in the United States.
Total software sales were down 1% to $653.2 million. Madden NFL 12 dominated the software side of things, topping the chart, and beating Gears of War 3 into the top spot despite Microsoft’s announcement that Epic Games sequel had sold over 3 million units globally in one week. Aaron Greenberg has since confirmed via Twitter that Gears of War 3 sold more than 2 million units in the US during September.
Dead Island came in third place, with FIFA 12 and NHL 12, Resistance 3 and Warhammer 40, 000: Space Marine all debuting in the Top 10 as new releases.
August 2011 Hardware Sales Chart
- Xbox 360: 438K
- PlayStation 3
- Nintendo 3DS: 260K
- Wii: 240K
- Nintendo DS: 145K
August 2011 Software Sales Chart
- Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP) – Electronic Arts
- Gears of War 3 (360) – Microsoft
- Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) – Deep Silver
- FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS) – Electronic Arts
- NHL 12 (360, PS3) – Electronic Arts
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC) – Square Enix
- Resistance 3 (PS3) – Sony
- Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, DS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PSP, PC) – LucasArts
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC) – Activision Blizzard
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC) – THQ
August 2011 Videogame Industry Sales Totals
- Total retail sales: $1.16 billion (-6%)
- Total non-PC retail sales: $1.13 billion (-4%)
- Non-PC hardware: $349.0 million (-9%)
- Non-PC software: $630.2 million (3%)
- Accessories: $154.8 million (-14%)
- Total software: $653.2 million (-1%)