What has the team at Polyphony Digital been working on since the release of Gran Turismo 5? Patches. Enormous patches that fulfilled the original vision of a game launch that didn’t represent the end of the journey, but the beginning.
The team has also been working on downloadable content, it seems.
It’s been announced today that another gigantic (free) update to the developer’s ‘Real Driving Simulator’ will be arriving next week for Gran Turismo 5 players, adding waves of new functionality, as well as new content, better load times and more.
Here’s a rundown:
Features of Gran Turismo 5 Functionality Update 2.0
- ‘Standard’ cars will now have interior views (level of detail varies from car to car)
- Photo Travel Mode updates
- Shortening of load times and improved menu response
- Improved car physics simulation, further evolved A.I.
- Improved and enhanced user interface
- Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels
- New features in the Online Lounge
- Players can save progress during endurance races
- Addition of eleven NASCAR 2011 cars
- Improvements to weather settings
Gran Turismo creator and series steward Kazunori Yamauchi said of Update 2.0:
“The coming Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 update is an update that contains the feedback from the users playing GT5 online every day. We have added cars such as the newest NASCAR race cars, but many of the updates are those that improve usability and expand the field of game play.
“I believed from the initial release of Gran Turismo 5 that it would be the users that would make the game grow thereafter, and we added things like interior views for the standard models because there was a lot of request for it from our users. You could say that this update is the shape and form of GT5 that was created through the opinions of our fans.”
Functionality Update 2.0 for Gran Turismo 5 releases on PlayStation 3 on October 11th.
This wasn’t the only bit of good news for GT fans, however, as it was additionally revealed that a downloadable content pack for GT 5 will become available in the near future that will add new cars, tracks and “a host of other additional new content.” More details surrounding this DLC is promised to arrive very shortly, so keep your eyes peeled and staring at El33tonline.