2011 has already been a bumper year for tennis fans thanks to the release of the brilliantly realistic Top Spin 4 and the more arcade-orientated Virtua Tennis 4. Now fans of games based on the popular sport can look forward to another high profile tennis title releasing next year for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
The game in question is Grand Slam Tennis 2 which is being developed by EA Canada – the experienced studio behind such recent hits as FIFA 11 and NHL 11.
The original Grand Slam Tennis was released on the Wii back in 2009, with the planned PS3 and Xbox 360 versions eventually being canned.
The sequel looks to improve upon its predecessor in every possible way, and will feature PlayStation Move support in the PS3 version.
The game will feature all four Grand Slam tournaments, including the exclusive Wimbledon license.
Here is the official features list from EA Sports:
- All-New Total Racquet Control: Control every shot with the right analog stick, smashing forehands, backhands, overheads and volleys with precision, accuracy and power. Utilize this innovative control system to take your game to the top! But if you prefer the old school button controls, those are still available!
- Become a Champion: Become a true Grand Slam tournament champion by capturing all four major championships in succession. The prestige of some of the most historic events in tennis come alive like never before, including the Australian Open, French Open, U.S. Open and exclusive to EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis franchise — Wimbledon.
- PlayStation Move Support: The motion control experience gets you on your feet and puts a racquet right in the palm of your hands. From casual players to tennis masters, you truly have the chance to swing your way to victory.
- Legends of Now and Then: Play with or against more than 20 of the greatest players to ever grace the courts, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Bjorn Borg, Maria Sharapova, Serena and Venus Williams and exclusive to EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis franchise, seventeen-time winner of a Grand Slam tournament John McEnroe.
- Professional, Realistic, Organic (P.R.O.). AI: The playing styles and behaviours of the sport’s greatest stars are captured right down to their signature swings and emotional reactions. Realistic tactics and strategies are your keys to success against each legend whether playing on hard court, clay or grass. The organic artificial intelligence adapts to your game so there’s never a dull moment!
- ESPN Grand Slam Tournament Classics: Relive some of the most memorable moments in tennis. From Borg versus McEnroe to Nadal versus Federer, play your way through history unlocking up to 25 amazing moments of Grand Slam tournaments.
- Deep Tennis Experience: Play countless hours of tennis in Grand Slam Career mode – singles and doubles, through a 10-year career or battle online. A wide variety of online gameplay features, Photo Game Face and more keep your experience fresh and authentic.
Grand Slam Tennis 2 will be out on PS3 and Xbox 360 sometime next year. We’ll be bringing you all the latest news relating to the game so keep your dial tuned to El33tonline for all this and more.
Be sure to check out the announcement trailer for Grand Slam Tennis 2 below – it should be enough to get you psyched for this new challenger to Top Spin 4’s throne!