Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hryb (of ‘Xbox frontman’ fame) has revealed that the official online destination for all things Xbox, Xbox.com, will be receiving a “massive facelift” tomorrow, October 20th.
Changes to the site won’t just be limited to including support for the new Xbox LIVE regions being added this year (including South Africa), but a number of visual enhancements and under-the-hood improvements will also materialise, examples of which are included below:
- Browser based Avatar editor: Edit your avatar and preview avatar items before purchase
- Combined views for messages, friend and game requests
- Improved notification of your account subscription
- Leverage Family Reports to understand what your family is doing and how they are using LIVE
- Play web games with your Xbox LIVE friends on the web or on Windows Phone 7
- Marketplace: More powerful search and more intuitive ways to browse and filter
“Those are just a few of the changes,” writes Hryb, “starting tomorrow you’ll be able to explore the entire thing yourself.”
Thankfully, Hryb has been kind enough to include a bunch of images that clue us in about some of the more visual changes coming to Xbox.com, a selection of which you can see below:
(“Note: In order to prepare for these changes, starting at 0500 ET/0200 PT/0900 GMT on October 20th (tomorrow) Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be offline and unavailable for a short period of time. When it returns, you’ll see the new site.
“The Xbox LIVE service is not affected by this upgrade and will remain available during this time.”)