UK Software Charts: StarCraft II destroys all during the week of July 31stWritten by: / / No Comments
It was inevitable. After twelve years of anticipation, and following the release of the original phenomenonal hit title, it had to happen.
To the absolute surprise of no-one, Blizzard Entertainment’s StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty has this week debuted at No. 1 on Chart Track’s UK Software Sales chart, no doubt effortlessly knocking last week’s chart topper, Toy Story 3, off of its perch.
Chart Track reminds us that StarCraft comes from very humble beginnings, after the original game debuted in 1998 at No. 24 on the UK chart, being outsold by another PC title, LucasArt’s Star Wars Supremacy.
Another interesting morsel of information is that, in one week alone, StarCraft II has sold more boxed copies than StarCraft has ever managed in its entire lifetime in the UK.
This dominant performance results in a bit of a chart shuffle, as Toy Story 3 (sales down 8%) moves to No. 2, Red Dead Redemption (sales down 8%) steps down to No. 3 from No. 2, Dance on Broadway (sales down 11%) shifts to No. 4 from No. 3, and LEGO Harry Potter (sales down 10%) is forced down to No. 5 from No. 4 last week.
Just Dance (sales up 26%), on the other hand, steps up to No. 6 from No. 8, Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (sales up 27%) strolls up to No. 7 from No. 9, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (sales up 37%) is up to No. 8 from No. 11 last week.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (sales down 5%) is pushed down to No. 9 from No. 6, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (sales up 33%) finds its way back into the Top Ten, charting at No. 10, up from No. 12 last week.
The Top Twenty All Format UK Software Sales Chart follows below:
- 1.) StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard)
- 2.) Toy Story 3 (Disney Interactive Studios)
- 3.) Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar)
- 4.) Dance on Broadway (Ubisoft)
- 5.) LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1 – 4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
- 6.) Just Dance (Ubisoft)
- 7.) Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo)
- 8.) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
- 9.) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
- 10.) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (EA)
- 11.) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (EA)
- 12.) Fifa 10 (EA)
- 13.) 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa (EA)
- 14.) Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
- 15.) Bioshock 2 (2K Games)
- 16.) Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
- 17.) Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
- 18.) Crackdown 2 (Microsoft)
- 19.) Splinter Cell: Conviction (Ubisoft)
- 20.) Sniper: Ghost Warrior (City Interactive)
You can find last week’s UK Software Sales Chart over here.
Source: Chart Track